Homemade Triple Sec! Can't wait to try this!
Also, did you know that it's International Scurvy Awareness Day? Limestrong is a non-profit organization who's focus is to "eradicate" scurvy. Now, we know that scurvy will never be eradicated but through awareness we hope to reduce any new develpments. Scurvy is a condition caused by the lack of Vitamin C and a way to combat ever getting scurvy is by eating fresh fruits and veggies, especially citrus! So, yes, go make a margarita with your new homemade triple sec! Your body will thank you!
To make the Triple Sec you want 10 oranges. Using a vegetable peeler, you want to peel the zest from 4 oranges (much like we did for the limoncello) and put them in a half gallon jar. Next you want to juice the oranges until you have 2 cups of juice. In a large pan, you want to heat sugar and water until the sugar is dissolved, then, while stirring, you want to add the orange juice. Cool the syrup completely and add it to your half gallon jar. Then add the vodka. You can also use everclear but since only four cups is used in this recipe, I decided to use vodka. Cover and place in a cool spot for at least a month. Strain and bottle.
I see soooooooo many margaritas in my future!
Yield: about one and a half 750ml bottles
4 cups sugar
1 cup water
4 cups vodka or grain alcohol
- Using a potato peeler, zest 4 oranges, much like we did for limoncello. Add the peel to a half gallon jar.
- Juice all the oranges until you have 2 cups.
- In a large pot, heat sugar and water until all the sugar is dissolved. Once the sugar is dissolved, slowly pour in the orange juice while stirring. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Take off heat and let cool completely.
- Once the syrup is completely cooled, pour into the half gallon jar over the orange zest.
- Add vodka or grain alcohol.
- Cover and let steep in a cool spot for at least a month.
- Strain and bottle
- Enjoy summertime margaritas!