I had a handful of mushrooms rolling around in my fridge. These were the remaining few from a package that I had bought at the farmers market and I had to do something with them before they dried out. Thinking of how bright and nutty I found the persillade, I though that it would go great with the woody flavor of the mushrooms. However, I didn't have enough mushrooms to make a big enough side -and- I had only one lone chicken breast defrosted in the fridge (which needed to get used up too before it went bad). I thought that I could oomph the serving of the chicken by making it a stuffed chicken.
Preheat your oven to 375F. Chop the mushrooms into quarters. In a medium sized, oven proof skillet, add chopped mushrooms and cook over medium heat with olive oil. You don't want to cook the mushrooms too much, you really just want them to sweat, because they are going to be cooked again when we bake the chicken. This should only take about 5 minutes.
Pour the mushrooms into a small bowl and toss with 1 heaping tablespoon of persillade and a sprinkle of mozzarella (or whatever cheese you have in your fridge).
Slice down the thickest part of the chicken breast, leaving the chicken breast intact. Open up the chicken breast and pound out the breast until it is about an inch thick.
Add the mushroom and persillade filling to one side and roll the chicken breast up like a burrito. Once you have it rolled, slide toothpicks through the chicken breast to keep it rolled up. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
In the same oven proof skillet that you cooked the mushrooms, add about 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet and heat to medium-high heat. Brown the chicken on both sides. Quickly, put the skillet in the oven to bake the chicken. Bake the chicken about 15 minutes.
Once the chicken is done baking, let it rest on a cutting board. Cut the chicken in half; one half is one serving. Serve over collard greens and quinoa!
Mushroom & Persillade Stuffed Chicken
1 handful of mushrooms, quartered
1 heaping Tablespoon of Persillade
Pinch of mozzarella
1 large chicken breast, pounded out to 1 inch thickness
- Preheat your oven to 375F
- In an oven proof skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat. Add the quartered mushrooms and cook the mushrooms until they just start to sweat, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, toss mushrooms, persillade, and mozzarella.
- Add to one side of the chicken and roll up the chicken, securing with toothpicks
- In the same oven proof skillet used to sweat the mushrooms, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken on both sides.
- Add the skillet to the oven and bake at 375F for about 15 minutes.
- Let chicken rest on a cutting board. Cut in half and serve.