It's very easy to make this dish. It's basically a one pot meal. First you want to poke holes in your brats all over with a fork. Then, in a large pan, dump in your can of sauerkraut, a bottle/can (12oz) of beer, and nestle your brats on top of the kraut. Cover and simmer, low and slow, anywhere between 30 - 40 minutes. After they have simmered, you want to place the brats under your broiler - or grill them up. The brats are already cooked so all you want to do is brown them up. While the brats are browning, turn the heat on the beer & kraut on high and let the beer boil out; this makes the kraut super flavorful.
You don't need much for a yummy meal: beer, brats, & kraut.
To assemble your meal, slather toasted bread (in this case beer bread) with your most yummiest mustard, top with a wonderful layer of kraut, and top that with your brat! Enjoy!
Beer bread, beer kraut, and beer brats. Did I mention beer?
Beer Brats & Kraut
1 pint of sauerkraut
1 bottle/can (12oz) of beer
1 package of bratwursts
- Poke bratwursts all over with a fork
- In a large pan with sides, dump in the sauerkraut, beer, and nestle the bratwursts in the sauerkraut. Cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- Once brats are done simmering, remove from the pan and brown under a broiler or grill (or even pan fry).
- While brats are browning, turn heat on the sauerkraut and beer on high and boil until the beer has evaporated.
- Toast bread, slather with mustard, top with beer kraut, and top that with brats.