From Canning for a New Generation
Yield: 4 half pint jars
1.5 pounds Kumquats
2 cups sugar
3 cups water
- Prep work area per "Kitchen Tactics: Boiling Water Bath Canning"
- With a paring knife, cut off the blossom end and slice two slits in each kumquat. Place them in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat, boil for 5 minutes, then drain. Repeat 2 more times for a total of 3 times.
- In a large pot combine 3 cups of water and 2 cups of sugar, bring to a boil, and stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the kumquats and return to a boil. Skim off any foam, lower heat, and simmer until kumquats are translucent and glossy and the syrup is thick and reduced until it just covers the kumquats, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir to distribute the fruit, and ladle the hot kumquats and syrup into the hot jars, leaving 1/4" headspace.
- Process for 10 minutes.
Mmmmm, can't wait to try that drink!